It's interesting how certain things are ingrained in our nature and we never really understand the concept until we have to explain it to someone else.
I took Audrey with me to the store this afternoon because she really needed to get out of the house before she drove us all mad. Since the official Christmas season has begun, the Salvation army bell ringers are out in full force, so as we entered the store, I gave Audrey a quarter and helped her put it in the red can. I started to explain why we did that, but I found myself at a loss of words because I didn't exactly know how to help her understand the concept at her age. All I got out was "it's good to give to others" and I hoped that it made sense.
Every teaching moment with her has served to teach me as well. I hope I can show more opportunities to serve as she and Nate both grow up.
being a stay at home mom
9 years ago
1 comment:
Funny... I had Aubrey do the same thing at Smith's the other day because I thought it would be best to instill the concept early on. Aubrey was scared to death to approach the man ringing the bell (he was pretty scruffy looking), but her attitude changed when he said "Thank you". She giggled and did a little hop in the air, and she said to me "that man thanked me for giving him money". I told her that by donating money, we were making it possible for other kids to have good food and toys for Christmas.
Later in the car, Aubrey said, "so some kids don't get toys for Christmas?" And I replied that there are many kids that do not receive toys for Christmas. I told her that there are a lot of families that do not even have enough money for food or clothes, so these families usually do without at Christmas time. Aubrey immediately said, "we should give one of those kids my shirts that don't fit mom". I smiled and told her that we could gather them up when we got home.
Sure enough, she did not forget. We went home and posted an add on freecycle for her clothes. She was so excited when the family came to pick up her clothes. She smiled and said "we did good today mom". I had a hard time not tearing up a bit.
Way to share the message Julia!!
Post a Comment