Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Battle of Wills Continues...

8:46 am--Since getting up at 7:30, Audrey has not left her room yet because I asked her to clean up her explosion of toys and she refuses to do so. I figure if she can dump them out, she's old enough to put them away.

10:03 am--
still refusing, but she took an impromptu nap for an hour. At this rate, I'll have to bring her food up on a tray.

11:18 am--
She's had two bowls of grapes and some water, but she's still in there and still refuses to clean up.

2:03 pm--
she's still in her room, just woke up from another nap. I threw a bunch of toys in the bucket to show her and she said, "mommy, you clean up my toys for me!" and I said, "now you can clean up the rest of them."

"NO! I don't!"

2:30 pm--
she just dumped the bucket again so she could overturn it and use it as a stool.

To be continued...

5 comments:

The Staheli's said...

Wowzers! Good luck with that! :D

Safire said...

Go Mommy Go! Go Mommy Go! She'll get it sometime. It may be when she's 4, but she'll get it. ;)

The Bowldens said...

i am so right there with you!

Anonymous said...

That sounds quite frustrating....for both of you. As a mother of 4, I can understand that frustration very well. Perhaps this can give you some good things to try to help you achieve what you'd like in a more satisfactory way.
http://www.epinions.com/content_3858079876

Best of luck!
Sarah

mom said...

Way to stick to your guns! I also have a reluctant cleaner, but I success when I make it into a game. Sometimes, I will hide something in her room and she has to go on a treasure hunt. The only way she will find the item is if she picks up her toys along the way. She cannot have the "treasure" until every toy is picked up. Other times, I tell her she needs to find all of the green items and thrown them into the bucket, etc. They work great. Perhaps a little "honey" will entice her to do what she is capable of doing.

We also have the "one tote" out at a time rule. If she wants to play with something else, she must pick up the items and put that tote away. It has done wonders for keeping her room clean. If only I could institute this program throughout the rest of the house.

Just a few tricks from a hard "working" mom. Best of luck.