Monday, November 17, 2008

Food Fight

and no, I don't mean the flinging kind, though I sometimes wonder if that might be easier to handle.

Lately Audrey has refused to pretty much eat anything I offer her, unless it involves sugar of some kind. I'm all for a treat every now and then, but not everyday and certainly not at every meal! It's bad enough that I have a sweet tooth, I don't need a two-year-old sugar shadow.

I've been trying to set a good example for her by planning out balanced meals and having us all sit at the table together. (Not exactly easy with a squirmy baby in one hand.) I don't make complicated food and I usually include something she likes (sans the sugar). Once we're all at the table and she starts throwing a fit about the food, I tell her she has to at least stay at the table while the rest of us eat. Once we're done, I ask her to at least try one bite.

Here's where the battle of wills begins. She refuses and starts whining over something as simple as PB&J. She tasted the strawberry jam and declared it 'delicious,' but freaks out when the two are together in a sandwich. I thought most toddlers liked PB&J!

So lately I've been leaving her at the table even after we finish, because I don't think she should be rewarded for her behavior by getting down to play or watch a 'moobie.' Unfortunately in the place we live right now we can't leave the room because the kitchen and family room are connected. It would be so much easier to ignore the whining otherwise.

Actually, it would be much easier if she would eat something other than toast and crackers.

2 comments:

Safire said...

Ugh, I hate this phase. V always comes to it when then weather changes I've noticed. Once it got so bad I just stopped offering her food all together. We would sit down and she would ask, 'Where's my food?" and then I'd be all happy and jump up and get it and she'd eat half before she realized that she didn't want it. Or I'd make it pink with food coloring. That's a sure fire way to get her to eat most things. :) Good luck!

Liz and Dave said...

Ok Julia,

My son is the exact same way... He has always been a really picky eater. There are times I am just like would you eat! Well, good luck with that too...