It's been a stressful week for me. I've had numerous deadlines to fulfill because of work, and because of that, I've been sitting at the computer for most of the week. Most of my house is in disarray. I'm behind in laundry, dishes, general cleaning, and my kids have seen more of the playroom than normal.
So when I hit one of my last deadlines today, I wanted to do something to celebrate. More specifically, I wanted to have a date night since I hadn't seen much of my hubby with both of our crazy extended work schedules this week.
When I saw the nearby high school advertising Guys and Dolls as their fall musical, I knew that was exactly what I wanted to do. I love musicals, and Guys and Dolls is one of my favorites because it was a show I worked on in high school. Not in it, but I painted some of the scenery and was on stage crew for it. Even after nearly 15 years, I still remember some of my "lines." Scene 4! Park bench, lamp post, stage right!
I was gearing up for us to go, even writing a blog post in my head about how much I enjoyed the evening. Then about 30 minutes before we were supposed to leave, I discovered that we had miscommunicated with our babysitter and she was no longer available. It was too late to find anyone else.
Bye bye date night.
I had worked myself up with so much anticipation and excitement for this evening that it all just came out and I started sobbing. I get emotional over the stupidest things, but I couldn't help it. I think it was because for the last few times we've tried to plan a date night or a getaway, something happens. Usually it's the babysitting falling through, but it's always something.
Fortunately, my sweet husband came to my rescue. He got us all into the car, took us over to a couple of stores where we picked up a few things for the kids (and he spoiled me). Then it was over to Chik-fil-a, (the friendliest restaurant for kids ever!) and we got a few moments of silence while the kids ate and played.
He leaned over and said, "I know it's not the night you wanted, but it's a good consolation, right?"
Yes, it was a good family date night. It was something we needed.
being a stay at home mom
9 years ago
1 comment:
Yay for family date night. Next time bring the tinies to my house and I'll tend them while you have a date with the hubby! Guys and Dolls should never be missed :)
Post a Comment