Tuesday, November 9, 2010

In Which My Husband Tries to Turn Me Into a Geek

but I'm already a geek. HA!

(Just not a 12-year-old geek like him.)

He asked me to watch Scott Pilgrim with him tonight, and thankfully all the pop culture/video game references were not completely lost on me.

Long before I met him, I played video games. I did grow up with three brothers after all. I obsessed over Super Mario 3 more than they ever did. I had the Game Genie and the Strategy Guide. I would be sneaky and hide the 'on' light button of the Nintendo so my mother wouldn't know I left it on. The original Nintendo didn't have a save option, and there was no way I was going to start over every time.

By the time I started high school, the Internet was just starting to take off with AOL. (I can hear that dialup sound now...) Then I discovered Gemstone III and quickly fell into that. Made up a little cheat sheet guide and everything. Finally had to stop playing when they started requiring pay to play. That was a sad, sad day, but not sad enough to pay money for it.

My gaming habits fell away for a couple of years, until I married Ammon and he re-introduced me to the wonderful world of RPGs. Cutesy game with a plot? How could I not play it? I quickly played through all the Playstation games he had at the time, and since then, it's just been a gradual procession into newer, bigger, shinier games.

But games are not the only thing I geek over. I'm a musical nerd. There, I said it. I swoon over a good musical. Most of those are over 40-50 years old, but that's because this era can't compare to the Golden Era of Musicals.

Last week, I mentioned I got White Christmas on blu-ray. This week, another one of my all-time favorites got the blu-ray treatment:

The Sound of Music is just one of those movies I never get tired of. It's based on a true story (loosely based, but still), it has excellent casting (a young Christopher Plummer makes me very happy), wonderful music, and beautiful scenery.

What could possibly top this? Singing in the Rain? Hello Dolly? Guys and Dolls? I know they're just movies to some, but it excites me to see classics come to life again.

1 comment:

Lorie said...

I must add "7 Brides" to that list. Who can resist a bunch of burly {somewhat} men doing ballet with an axe?