Wednesday, November 18, 2009

In Which an Idea Blows Up In My Face

I blame it on the haziness leftover from the flu.

I will never ever ever do this again. EVER.

A little background: The girl has a lamp in her room that I allow her to turn on sometimes so she can read before going to sleep. I don't let her do it every night, but she seems to think that one night = every night. You know, the whole give an inch, take a mile thing. I've been trying to get her to leave it alone because I don't like waking up in the middle of the night to find it still on.

So tonight, I did the stupidest thing my flu-ridden brain could possibly think of.

I told her the lamp had a crocodile hiding in it and only mommy could touch the lamp.

Yeah, cue the tears.

It took me capturing said crocodile and flushing it down the toilet, spraying the room with 'crocodile spray,' and telling her the medicine she took was magic medicine to scare the crocodiles away in order to calm her enough to lay back down on the bed.

As I was leaving the room for the umpteenth time, she said to me, "mommy, Manny the elephant (from Ice Age) scared away the crocodiles. I like Manny, and he likes me."

I'll be sure to remember that.

5 comments:

Safire said...

Hahaha! Sorry about that crocodile, I know he was a good pet for you. I guess when they get mean, you've got to send them to a better place though. ;)

Liz and Dave said...

What a beautiful thing. Well I hope it all worked out where she finally calmed down.

Marcie said...

wow. maybe next time, just take the lamp out of the room?

Julia said...

Marcie, the problem with taking the lamp out is that she then turns on the overhead light. So unless I take the lightbulbs out of that, she's one-upped me.

mom said...

Sounds like it worked out just fine! You should buy a timer for her lamp (that's what we did), and the light stays on for about 30-40 minutes (depending on how good we were to get her to bed on time).

Way to do the magical cleansing of the croc...