He even admitted it himself. He said, "I was 10 when you met me, and now I'm 12." For the record, we've known each other nearly 10 years, and have been married for almost 7. Things haven't changed much.
It's no secret that my husband loves video games and stuff from his childhood. (Nothing can really beat the Saturday Morning cartoons of the 80s, really.) It's just funny how much it is a part of his personality, and now, how much of it he wants to pass along to the kids, as seen in their pictures holding game controllers.
I watch him take unabashed delight when Audrey wants to watch Transformers or G.I. Joe cartoons with him, and yells out "Yo Joe" a million times like they do each episode. He tells me his favorite childhood memory is sitting in his underwear with a bowl of cereal watching Saturday morning cartoons. I'll admit, I did the same -- but I wore more clothes.
So tonight, when he came home from work, I noticed a bag from Toys R Us in his hands. Before I could roll my eyes, he said, "It was on clearance, I just couldn't pass it up," because as you know, clearance is the magic word.
He pulls out a box holding a super-deformed figure of Hellboy, one of his favorite comic book characters. He's got this giddy smile on his face and says, "If you want to give it to me for Christmas, I won't open it just yet." As he's saying this, I'm trying to clean up the kitchen and get dinner on the table, so before I'm able to even respond to that, he's ripped the box open and cradling the thing like it's made of fragile glass. "It feels different than I expected. I think I might be addicted to collecting these now." (He takes them to work and displays them in his office.)
I asked him, "So if I bought you nothing but action figures for Christmas, would that make you happy?"
He said, "But they don't make them like they used to."
Well, there goes that idea.
From Ammon:
Tell me this isn't cool. C'mon, I dare ya.
2 comments:
Yeah, I bet my wife says the same things about me Julia. I know she's thinking it every time I mention a video game I pre-ordered or the recent charity auction item I bid on (autographed Halo action figure).
We saw that too and thought that it was seriously cool...
I was thinking of getting it to put in a holiday sock for Dan. ^_^
Post a Comment