All I wanted was for Audrey to take one tiny bite of squash. She used to eat it all the time. I even put sprinkles on it to make it more enticing. (because in her world, sprinkles equal candy.) On the up side, at least she can be polite about it with a "no thank you." But I'm tired of being the short order cook. There is more to the food world than chicken nuggets! She won't even eat a PBJ, just PB. Or banana bread. She'd eat the whole loaf if I let her.
So I took my teething monster and got him calmed down, and when I came back down to the kitchen, she had quietly ripped her Hello Kitty placemat apart. Very sad, cause it was really cute. So she went to bed without any dinner. Not the first time for that either. About an hour later though, Audrey was yelling in her room about a 'sound' she heard. Then she told me "I want something to eat."
Tough. You missed your chance. Or was I too mean?
being a stay at home mom
9 years ago
6 comments:
Nope, not harsh at all. She either eats or she doesn't...that's my rule. Eat and not be hungry, or don't eat and be hungry. She'll learn to eat!
not too mean at all! you're a great mom! i have done this a lot too. i think you raise picky eaters if you make them something else to eat when they dont want to eat what you made them. did that make sense? lol. good luck girl!
You're not mean... she needs to learn. Its a control thing. You're the boss--as much as she hates it. She doesn't rule the roost. You do. She needs to try new foods. Also-- distruction is also a power thing. Don't tolerate it. ***hugs*** you are a fantastic mommy!!!! don't sell yourself short!!
When I was her age, I had to sit at the table until I tried it. My grandma would come back every so often and divide what was left in half, until I tried it. Then there's also the old trick of serving the same thing at every meal until they eat it.
Julia, I'm proud of you for standing your ground. Audrey is just testing her boundaries on the few things she feels like she might be able to control. We do the same thing here. When your child is hungry again, you offer her the same food until she tries it. Eventually, the little fights will stop.
If you have her help you in the kitchen, she is more likely to try it because "she helped make it" (especially if mom and dad make such a big deal about how good Audrey's sweet potatoes are!). Best of luck...
I second every opinion already given. Alycia is destructive also, and you've got to nip it in the bud.
Post a Comment