Friday, March 28, 2008

The interview went well. Driving was not bad (northbound from SLC at 7:30am), but there were four cars pulled over between Julia's folks' house and the office. Traffic sped along between 75 and 85 (in the 65 zones), so it's not really that surprising.

When I reached the interview, I was ushered into a room to wait for the head of the branch. He showed up and promptly stated that he had lost my resume, so I provided him with a new one. I received the standard questions - what is your greatest accomplishment, what is your worst quality, etc. Then it just started to get weird.

The interviewer graduated from school with my boss. His brother-in-law works with my dad. His wife is a wedding consultant that gets her invitations printed through one of my old jobs. Admittedly, I wasn't involved with any of the wedding invitations, but it's still an interesting connection.

Additionally, they weren't planning on hiring anyone new. From what I understand, a project was offered to them that they hadn't really asked for. This project includes the design of a pressure irrigation system for a new development and specifically states that they want water meters installed. As it turns out, I am the only person in the State of Utah that has done any high quality, hands-on research about the use of secondary metering.

Both of my bosses at the water lab think that I'll definitely get an offer. The branch-head mentioned that they'll be interviewing a few more people. If all goes well, I hope to hear from them in the next week.

2 comments:

Dan said...

So...What did you say was your worst quality? Lack of an opposable toe?

Ammon said...

Jokes on you, my toe is opposable.

I told him that it was my attention to detail and he was like "What? How is that a bad thing?"

"Time constraints."

"Good point."