Thursday, October 13, 2011

itadakimasu!

Eons ago, I took a Japanese course in college. One of my favorite classes to date, with one of my favorite teachers ever, Mitsuko-sensei. Her comment on my awesome Sailormoon umbrella has been stuck in my mind ever since: "Whose umbrella is this? Do you know who has umbrellas like this? Chiisai kodomo! (little children) With matching galoshes!"

Anyway, during one class we learned to cook rice properly and make tempura. It involves lots and lots of oil at a high heat, but the vegetables turn out very very yummy. Now over ten years later, I'm making it again in my own kitchen. I also made a colossal mess, but you get no pictures of that.

Tonight we did sweet potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. We also gave chicken a try, since we're not shrimp eaters. It was also really good.

Guess who else thought tempura chicken was tasty?

Picky one tried it! She likes it!

::happy dance of joy::

1 comment:

Bonnie @ A Backwards Story said...

Yayyyyy! If the picky one likes it, it's even more of a winner than it already was!!!! *dances with you*