Monday, September 27, 2010

Birthday Boy!

So now it's official: we have a two-year-old in the house. (Didn't I just go through this?) Honestly, it doesn't feel like he's two because he's always been so big and he's got a vocabulary to rival most kindergartners. I keep thinking he's older than he really is.

Instead of getting the sassy little girl attitude, now I get to experience the big boy, defiant destructo kid, curious little monkey. I'm not sure which one I fear more.

But on to the celebrations!

Here's the birthday boy, complete with random scratch on his face. Because no little boy should have a day go by without a random crash into the wall, floor, or toy. Thankfully the black eyes have gone away.

Aaaand here's his pile of presents. Some from us, some from Grandma and Grandpa, and some from Mimi and Papa. If he did this well for his birthday, I hope he doesn't get too disappointed for Christmas.

This is basic training for Unwrapping 101. He'll be well-prepared come Christmas Day. He would open up one present, ooh and ahh at it, and then promptly say, "Open more presents now!"

We should have saved this one for last. He opened up this present first and said, "Oooh, fire truck! It's my favorite!" Nothing else compared. He also got Toy Story 3 duplos, garbage truck duplos (we're trying to get him over his rather interesting fear of the garbage truck -- so far, nothing's worked), a Blue's Clues book, an ABC book, a Curious George DVD, and a farmhouse playset. Audrey promptly tried to take over the playsets, and it's been quite a battle to get her to leave it alone.

And finally, the cake. Originally this was going to be a little more time consuming. I planned to cut out the shape of the 2 and somehow draw Blue on it, but I made the small oversight of double booking myself that day by helping out with the dinner for the Relief Society broadcast. It took up more time than I expected, but it went well. However, the cake was still very tasty and didn't look too bad. (I love being able to make my own cakes now!) Nathan knew right away that it was supposed to be a Blue's Clues cake.

He even requested the piece with the pawprint on it.

Random fact: Did you know that I'm about 10 years too late for any sort of Blue's Clues party decor? The only items that remain cost an exorbitant amount of money on eBay. I scored on some pawprint covered napkins at the local party store, though. That helped tie it all together.

It was nice just to have a small party this year, though I'm sure in time as he gets older and makes more friends, we'll end up having friend parties in the future.

Best part this year? No cake in the eyes!

No comments: