This is what has consumed me for the past month. I ordered the parts for this between October of 2007 and January of 2008. I finally recieved everything at the tail end of March and have been working to get it operational. Not a minute too soon either, as I'm defending the thesis a week from Wednesday. I guess that means I'd better hurry up and finish my testing!
The inside of the tank has a mixer that will keep particulates in suspension. The whole idea is to make the dirt stay in the water evenly rather than settling out to the bottom of the tank.This bench is designed to find out how accurate these water meters are when exposed to the dirty water found in reservoirs (the stuff you would typically find coming through your sprinkler system).
Thus far, I have frozen water on the inside and outside of the meters, soaked the meters in hard water for a month, and tested them in various orientations. Both types have been able to handle everything I've thrown at them to date.
So it looks like we've got a few candidates for metering secondary water in Utah. I know a lot of folks are upset about this research due to the change that will come through in paying for water. Currently, many people pay a flat amount of every year with their property taxes for as much water as they want to use. By metering the water, a pricing structure similar to residential systems will be put in place and people will now be charged by usage.
In the long run though, it'll help with conservation efforts.
1 comment:
Wow Ammon! I totally did not understand half of what you were talking about, but I am so impressed. Good luck with everything your family is in our thoughts and prayers.
Post a Comment