Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Kids in the Kitchen

I thought it would be fun to attempt a small cooking project with the kids yesterday.

Notice I said attempt.

I thought we'd try some peanut butter bars, since I personally don't like marshmallow rice krispy treats and the kids will eat anything with sugar in it anyway. So, here we go!


First step, make the peanut butter. All you need is peanuts, a good food processor, and some sugar. The best peanuts I've found for this is Planters Cocktail Peanuts, which are apparently now very difficult to find in the valley. (Thank you Amazon for carrying them.)

Next, corral The Boy in his high chair after repeated attempts of trying to thwart me from standing at the counter and throwing his sippie cup on the floor numerous times, leaving me standing in a puddle of milk.

Mix in the ingredients... (word to the wise, crush the rice krispies before mixing! It works so much better!)

Mmmm, messy toddler hands.

She needed a fork to eat hers. Underneath the tantrums lies some manners. It's awesome.

And, voila! Our first attempt at making peanut butter bars.

3 comments:

The Staheli's said...

MMMM!!! They look yummy! :) Well done.

The Scherbel Family said...

Those look so good. I'm impressed you make your own pb!

mom said...

Ha! Proof! I can show this to my husband. We wanted some cashew butter the other day, and I made the comment that Julia makes her own right in the processor. Now perhaps he will believe me. Those look fantastic by the way... when can I come over?