Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Preschool Graduation

So you know how every graduation/performance/recital/whathaveyou has to have at least one child who doesn't want to be there and therefore draws the most attention to themselves by not doing anything?


Yeah, that would be my child.

(she did fine at the beginning with the scavenger hunt, though she wanted me to do it for her...)

While other parents were crying because their sweet little children are growing up and it's amazing to see how much they've learned in the last year, I was crying tears of frustration. I understand shyness around unfamiliar people, but she knows these kids (and their parents). She knows her teacher very well. So for her to draw into this impenetrable shell right at the last minute is really a mystery to me.



Thankfully, I know she's learned something this year. She shows me this every day at home. Academically, I know she's ready for kindergarten. Emotionally and socially, I'm a little worried. Mostly because I won't be there to explain the things she's going to hear on the playground. I'm hoping that she won't experience that for at least a few more years, but I know that things have changed drastically since I was in elementary school. We didn't have internet or cell phones or 500+ cable channels.

She really is a sweet little girl -- when she wants to be.

1 comment:

Safire said...

Yay for preschool graduation! :) My girl was ready for school, but emotionally still struggled too. She had a rough first week of school (lots of crying) but that faded away as time went on. You'll be amazed at how much she'll grow this summer too.